New York State Standards Of The Arts
- Standard 1: Creating, Performing & Participating in the Arts
Students will actively engage in the processes that constitute creation & performance in the arts (dance, music, theatre and visual arts) and participate in various roles in the arts.
1) Students perform with me in front of their classmates – singing, dancing, acting and using creative, imaginative play. Each show is different depending on how your students react and interpret each song.
- Standard 2: Knowing & Using Arts Materials & Resources
Students will be knowledgeable about and make use of the materials and resources available for participation in the arts in various roles.
- Standard 3: Responding to and Analyzing Works of Art
Students will respond critically to a variety of works in the arts, connecting the individual work to other works and various aspects of human endeavor and thought.
- Standard 4: Understanding the Cultural Dimensions & Contributions of the Arts
Students will develop an understanding of the personal and cultural forces that shape artistic communication and how the arts in turn shape the diverse cultures of past and present society.
2) CDs, lyrics and list of books are sent in advance to the schools so they can read the books and listen to the music while looking at the lyrics. Creative Process is sent for teachers to explain to students. I also explain Creative Process at the show.
3) Students hear original songs from my point of view written to author’s works from their point of view and in turn, can offer their own point of view in a follow-up exercise.
4) Students are exposed to original songs written in a variety of musical styles. Through the music students will learn to appreciate diverse cultural contributions to the arts and in their own lives.
Shift in Common Core/Literacy – Staircase of Complexity
The student reading lyric sheets while listening to music supports the student reading below grade level. In other words, this activity may help reach a child having difficult getting excited about reading.